About that URL...

If you're reading this, chances are you recognize the reference in this blog's URL. But just in case, the Columbia Flier is the hometown newspaper for Columbia, Maryland. It was once, like many local papers, an true community institution—it employed many reporters, photographers, editors, ad reps, and more and would often exceed 100 pages with its weekly editions.

Today, the Flier is part of the Baltimore Sun, itself part of some ridiculously named media conglomerate, and it has, basically, a staff of one.

Referencing the paper in the URL is done out of reverence. Local media matters. But it is hurting, and in turn, so is our discourse and our understanding of our community and each other.

Local bloggers and social media have filled some of the gaps, but these are not adequate replacements for professional reporters and editors.

The decline in local media is something I think about a lot, but a series of tweets from our local reporter last night brought these thoughts to the top of my mind and put the problems in stark focus.


I followed up with:

Kate is doing great work in really difficult circumstances. She's utilizing whatever tools she can do to a nearly impossible job. But it shouldn't have to be this way.

Of course, I don't have any answers, at least not for the ongoing contraction and disappearance of local media, something that is happening across the country in communities big and small and in between.

Nor do I think starting this blog will make any meaningful impact on our media deficit, but it's a better place for me to share words, thoughts, and information than Facebook.

So, here we go.

My Speakout

As much as I don't like the term "Resident Speakout" that's what it is. What follows are the remarks I delivered at last n...